The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Tech_Ed88

Decisions on how to proceed on 87 GMC

I have a completely stock 1987 GMC short bed 2WD.
It was my paps truck and was always taken care of. It is just shy of 99K miles on the chevy 350. Still runs strong. The primary purpose of the truck has always been pulling a camping trailer.
He pulled a 1988 20 foot trailer with it, and I just bought a Jayco lite 27 foot trailer. It has a 5000 lb dry weight and a 7000 lb gross weight.
I have not pulled the trailer yet, and assume it will be fine to pull with a half ton truck.

Here is my question:
I have about 2k burning a hole in my pocket. I want to spend it!

Since the truck will be pulling a trailer about 4-5 times a year, should I stick with a stock tire? 235 75 r 15?
I want a nice white letter tire but not sure what style

Should I replace a perfect hood with a cowl induction hood or use the money elsewhere?

I thought about buying a tire/wheel package from one of those wholesellers on the internet
like an american racing baja or outlaw II with bf goodrich or wrangler white letter tires.
But..... The stock wheels are starting to grow on me and I'm thinking about just replacing the beauty rings and painting or powdering the wheels instead.

I have a billet grill for it, and was wondering about replacing the stock trim with new trim.

I also need/want a nice tonneau cover with easy access.
I have a buddy that will sell me a hard top for 200.00 but it's red..... like the perfectly new red cap I just took off.
I like the roll up tonneau covers too.

How would you spend 2k on your new toy that still has a job to do?

Last edited by Tech_Ed88; 03-11-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Tech_Ed88 is offline   Reply With Quote