The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Getting moved into the new shop finally!

For as long as I can remember I have been wanting a shop of my own, a place I can let my creativity roll, a place where I can work on cars and do other welding projects, just a place I can be me that is out of the weather and that I can keep my tools safe and organized.

About 2 weeks ago that dream came true when I found the building I am in now and leased it.

The building is 3800 square feet total, including a 1200 square foot living quarters upstairs. The space I am using as my shop is 23'6" x 37'6" with 9'6" celings. The lower floor below the living quarters I am using for the office for my towing company. And I have licenced the yard next to the building as a Vehicle Storage Facility.

The shop used to be a night club, so the garage door was closed in, and there are a set of double glass doors there now. I am going to open this back up with a 9x7' garage door.

The floor appears to be yellow right now because is is covered in carpet glue, I need to find some way of sripping it. As well the room with the little red roof used to be the bar, I am going to close in the windows in it, gut the inside of the room and then line all 4 walls with peg board. As well I am going to build a steel cage door that can be dead bolted to help secure my tools.

It is also nice having my welders where I can use them now, I am still having to power them with the big lincoln, but I already have some #2 that I am using to install a sub pannel in the shop, then that pannel will feed 3 "dryer" plugs that I can connect my welding machines to.

It is also nice having a place where my bandsaw and drill press can live and have thier own plugins, I have always had to run an extension cord to them when I needed them before.

Also outside there is a 220 circiut that is large enough to feed my 5HP Sailor Beal Air compressor, I am going to pour a slab for it out there, then bolt it down and build a shed around it, then plumb air lines into the shop.

It is sure a huge improvement over the old shop for sure,

Looking at this picture I dont know how I managed to get anything done, but I did. I am really looking forward to getting organized and not having dust come rolling in through the unfinished eaves of the building making everything in the shop filthy, or the mice getting into my tools either.