The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
WHAMMYBAR66

Angry BANG !! shot in the foot...

Hey guys.. my weekend is not going so well...

I purchased a serpintine set up off a used 96 s10 blazer with a 4.3 liter to install on my 69 Blazer. I have always considered the 4.3l just a 350 with 2 cylinders chopped of the end, so they should cross over fine for things like water pumps and stuff... well... not so fast..

I had done this upgrade to my '66 k20 and loved it. I should note here, that my '66 set up is off of a mid 80's tbi camaro or something.. but back to the blazer..

I had the alternator upgraded to 140A self exciter single wire, bought an A/C delete pulley and was ready to install. I did not want to use the 4.3l water pump because it had 2 pressed in steel weird looking heater hose lines. There is also a difference in the pulley mounting, as the 4.3 had a bigger hub. So I used the standard long pump and a correct serp pulley for the smaller hub. Here is a pic of the large hub withthe steel lines I didn't want to use.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well it doesn't work as the water pump pulley sits out about 1/4 inch too far making the belt hang off the pulley. SOOOO.. back to the parts store to get the water pump with the ugly syeel lines and figure out how to make it work.. but once I got back with it, I realized the the pump IS NOT THE SAME.. they changed the block..

You know how on a gen 1 small block pump, the passenger side of the pump has the little water passage under the lower mounting bolt ? This pump, and apparently the newer blocks, do not have this. I think this is safe to say since my pump was said to fit a slew of V-8 applications too.
[IMG][/IMG]

S0 including the alternator, I have about $350.00 invested in a system that WILL NOT WORK on my gen one block.. I am pissed, the wife is pissed.. what a crappy deal.

This is how it sits now.. no water pump.. Understand that I was going to replace the ratty old belt and rusty pulleys after a good test run, which never happened...
[IMG][/IMG]

Does anyone have and application ideas to where I can make this #@#$# thing work ?

My weekend is shot and the truck is still not on the road...

any help appreciated..

whammybar66
WHAMMYBAR66 is offline   Reply With Quote