The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
hotrodrookie

Need Help, TF wheels and tires and suspension

Hey guys, at the moment I’m trying to build my suspension and I think I’m gona need some wheels and tires pretty soon. I don’t know very much about wheel sizing but I think I want to go with some steelies and white walls and what I’m working with is an 8.8 explorer rear end that is either 59.75" wide with the ford bolt pattern, or 61.75" wide with the Chevy adapter plates. The blue line is the Ford width and the red line is the Chevy width (all measurements in inches). The caliper in the disk brakes also has a 12" diameter off the centerline.
I picked up some coilovers that are 17" extended, 11" compressed and they came with 350 lb springs. My plan was to mount them on the outside of the frame so I could make a little kick up mount so that the rear doesn’t sit too high. In doing this I will probably have to tub the floor for clearance. QA1 says that they should me mounted at 14" at ride height, I’m still not sure how that going to play out.
My initial guess was to set the tires at 29.5" tall, this was only an assumption as to what I thought looked good on the screen. This is where you guys come in. And being that I will probably have to tub the floor for shock clearances I could probably run a wider tire as well.

Now, (Finally!) what I want to know is what size wheel and tire combos are you guys using, offset, backspacing, etc... And what do you think would work for me?

Pictures of wheels on your truck would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images

hotrodrookie is offline   Reply With Quote