The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Nazzcu

EGR, Vacuum, Trany, and Fuel

More questions about my 87. Let me preface this by saying I am not a mechanic and have very little knowledge of this drive train. So any help is appreciated.

I have still been working at getting my TBI back in order and have gotten to the EGR valve. I picked up factory vacuum lines at the pick and pull today and got everything hooked up. During this I realized there would be no vacuum line for the transmission modulator valve. So I searched, the 700r4 did not have a vacuum connection correct? I have not checked the numbers on the trans to determine what it is yet.

Question 1. What is a safe vacuum to splice so I can connect the trans back up?

Question 2. The EGR solenoid should pull a vacuum at high RPM correct? and where does the 2nd vacuum connection on the solenoid go? I tested the EGR valve by hooking it to vacuum at idle, it stalled the engine. I am assuming the valve is working? It does run slightly rough at idle and when the solenoid is unhooked and has the vacuum is open it runs smoother.

Question 3. The truck runs rich and my fuel pump runs non stop. I do not see that the wiring has been modified. To my understanding the oil switch and the fuel pump relay control this? The oil switch is not connected because it does not match the harness and it is a pain to get to to swap. What should I do to track this down.

Question 4. How much of this may be due to the wrong ECM, the truck was original 305 TBI and swapped with a 92 setup. Due to what I have seen so far, I doubt the ECM was swapped in the change.

I am about ready to pull it all and go back to a carb. The good news is I have started the body prep for repaint, which is what I am best at.
Nazzcu is offline   Reply With Quote