The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
sizzle-fry

1968 C20 CST 327/TH400 Fleetside longbed

I'm new at forums. I expect that I will probably knock over someone's beer or something - please bear with me.

I was given (title and all, with new tabs even) a 1968 C20 CST Fleetside with the long bed (not a longhorn though). 327, with the 3911032 heads and 3914678 block, incl quadrajet. All options except air. Being rather fond of another manufacturer's old steel I was at first kind of confused and such, wondering what I was going to do with this truck. Then I remembered that saying... Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

It sat for a few weeks, I started it a few times and drove it around the property, and then it sat some more. I parked it in the shop to dry out, cleaned all the trash out of the cab, and then proceeded to look at it every once in a while after work. I checked out the vin and build tag (barely readable on glovebox interior) and got an idea of production numbers, etc. Wow, not too bad - about 2500 trucks made in this specific trim. Numbers match too.

There was obvious cancer from the windshield ridge, rain-gutters, and posts to the regular places in each wing, rockers, and forward cab mounts. The motor was rebuilt once at 240k miles - and I can tell from the ball joints it went another 100k beyond its first rebuild. Everything else seemed sound however. I removed the glass from the cab, and removed the doors and interior so that I could make a better asessment. Now I'm in it...

Free truck, chassis is in great condition, transmission is just dandy, all running gear is just fine, and most of the panels are a snap to make brand new. Yep, guess I'm in. Won't cost THAT much, right? Finished properly it could net as much as 15k, more to the right person I suppose. Stock rebuild, strictly (except for better bushings and bearings). This includes finishes and a rebuild of all subsystems. Wheee... I see 5k worth of mats and steel in chassis/body/cab right now. I see another 3-4k to make the motor/trans better than stock. Lol... I'm dreamin.

The experience is what I want - would rather learn on this free truck than on some 1966 crewcab 4x4... drool. I have my work cut out for me. Lots of questions coming too - like new cab or learn to do real body work... etc. Going to be a great educational project I'm certain. I've done dumber things - promise.

This project is of course just starting, here's (I hope) a few snaps of where this is starting from.
Attached Images

Last edited by sizzle-fry; 03-30-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: adding phots that I somehow managed to forget
sizzle-fry is offline   Reply With Quote