The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
JRBECK64

Ever Seem Like Your Going Backwards (Differential)

My Son and I have been battleing the rattles and noises that a truck fresh out of Restoration goes through. After about a week of pinpointing all the little raddle, knocks and BANGS we been hearing from the old girl we finally have come to the painfull conclusion that we are going to have to pull the differential out of his 64 Shortwide because the Diff Mount for the Track Bar is directly under the frame (About 1 1/2 inches of travel) and when you hit a bump or a speed bump it hits the frame. This is due to using a 10 Bolt Diff 3.08/1 out of a 1960 that has a 37 inch track bar. We pulled the original (that was in the 64 ShortWide) 12 Bolt 4.10/1 out of my 63 Shortwide parts truck last night and now need to clean and POR15 it before we stick it in the 64. Not to mention put all the New Drum brake shoes, Drums and Emergency brake Cables into the Diff. My Son and I started Laughing Yesterday when I told him we should go to work for a Indy Pit Crew changing out Differentials. So now I am trying to figure out what gear set I want to change the 4.10/1 to. Im thinking about going to a 3.42/1 gear set. I think that will keep the RPM down enough on the freeway and still give it a little bit out of the hole. If anyone is currently running one of these 3.42/1 Gear Sets let me know how you like it.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote