The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Spille85

Dad's 1967 Chevrolet 3/4 ton truck Pics included

Hi forum members,

I've posted a few threads here in the past, but I really didn't know the direction i wanted to go with my truck. Let me give you some background: ( I apologize if its really long)

I'm the second owner of this truck, the first being my late father who unfortunately passed away on February 8, 2005. I don't think I would be here on this forum if it wasn't for his love and devotion to mother and I. My mother was a single parent when she met my father in 1966. At the time she was working in the United States at the Mattel Toy Company and my father was serving in the U.S. Coast Guard. Shortly after meeting my father married my mother against the wishes of his family because my mother and I were Mexicans. This took some real courage because from that time forward it created a huge split between my father and his family. I never had the opportunity to really get to know his side of the family and they really didn't seem interested in getting to know my mother and I. A few years later my father adopted me and Naturalized me as a U.S. Citizen.

My father purchased this truck shortly after meeting my mother and I must say he loved this truck to death. I wasn't sure what the big deal was about this truck, but there was a certain bond my father had to it. I can remember going on camping trips in this truck hearing the sound of the carburetor opening up and the shifting of the gears. I learned how to drive a stick shift in this very same truck.

On February 8, 2005, at 7:11 am central time, I received the news that my father had passed of a heart attack at the age of 62. Receiving the tragic news made me feel like a part of me had died as well. I know he wasn't my real father, but growing up I always felt like he was my real father. The man who taught me to respect others and never ever give up.

At the funeral, the Priest had asked if anyone had anything they would like to say about my father and of course I proceeded to the front of the church. There I was standing in front of my fathers family on one side and my mothers family on the other. At the time I was 38 years old. and it was an odd feeling here I was speaking to my fathers family who seemed like strangers to me. It wasn't going to stop me from speaking about the love and respect I had for my father. I think I left an impression on my fathers family because since then they've have tried to come close to me, but its hard to accept them. Where were they when my father was alive?

A few days later, my mother called me into her bedroom and asked me if I wanted to have my fathers truck. I remember crying when I said yes and a week later I drove it from Los Angeles to Texas. I've since moved from Texas to Alexandria, Virginia where the truck sits in my driveway. Here are some pictures of the truck:

http://pbckt.com/s6.S73

I share this story with you because I would like to somehow return this truck to its glory days. Every time I drive this truck it attracts attention even in the condition its in. I have people coming up to me and asking if its for sale. There's not a dollar figure amount that can convince me to sell this truck. I will keep this as long as I live. Let me know what you guys think and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Last edited by Spille85; 04-03-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: grammatical
Spille85 is offline   Reply With Quote