The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Bkndsdl

Bkndsdls' 64 Build - 9+ years strong

Hello all, My name is Mike and like the title says, I've been restoring my '64 swb step since '01. It was my Uncle's truck as long as I can remember. He restored it first in the late 80's. The cab was bad then, but he couldn't find a replacement so did the best he could. When he got a job as a tugboat captain, my step Grandpa took care of it. He put a few dings and dents in it, but kept it running like the proverbial sewing machine. When he passed away, my Uncle hadn't messed with it in so long, he didn't really know what to do with it; it needed some work. I talked to him about it, and he agreed to sell it to me. I drove it for a little while, and when my first son was born I decided that it would be neat to drive him to his first day of school in it. Boy was I off by a few years, he's 8 now and in the 3rd grade!!

Here are some pictures taken a few years after my Uncle first restored it.

Those chains on the bed sides (white) were on every truck I ever saw my Grandpa own. They aid in keeping the rears down on the pavement; they are massive!

Up to now, it's been totally dismantled, and the frame has been blasted & painted, the front end's been upgraded to discs and 5 lugs, the rearend has been replaced with a match to the front end, and the frame is back on its wheels. I have located a replacement cab, and hope to have it at the blasters' house this weekend. More to come, I've got a lot of build pics to upload!

Last edited by Bkndsdl; 04-05-2010 at 10:24 PM.