The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Re: 67 C-30 Dually pickup build.

A little more progress...

Anybody familar with 6.2 diesels know the factory V belts set-ups can be on these trucks, so I decided to try something a little different. I know I could have gone with a serpentine set-up and eliminated the problem, but I couldn't find any in the local boneyards, and honestly I actually wanted the look of V belts on this old school dually (as crazy as that probably sounds). I decided to modify a hummer 4 groove set-up so I can run 2 equal length belts to the hydroboost pump, and 2 equal length belts to the alternator. Dual equal length belts usually do much better than single or dual different length (meaning where one runs over different pulleys like an A/C belt does on some of them) set-ups in my experience. We'll see how it holds up. I had to space out the pump and the alternator, but I used this as opportunity to put a stainless 1" X 1/8" washer that I made to put behind and in front the hydroboost pump bracket that bolts to the water pump. The brackets always get distorted, and elongated trying to keep it tight, so the big washer will sandwich the bracket and hopefully help keep it tight by having a bigger clamping area. I also have a dual pulley that I'm going to put on the new alternator, but I didn't get to that today.

The Hummer crank pulley is fine to use as, but I had to modify the water pump pulley. It had a raised boss to mount the clutch for the fan on the Hummers. I machined the boss off, and bored a 1.583" X .250" counterbore to help locate the fan. The locating pin on the water pump catches the fan with this thicker pulley, but its only about an 1/8", so I wanted a little more security. The hub on the fan is 1.580" so I gave it a .003" slip fit and it has no detectable play or slop. I bolted it on with M8 X 1.25 X 30mm bolts. Heres some pics of it. It really looks cool on the engine IMO with all those V grooves!

I also got the power steering box mounted today also, and I'm going to try to get the hydroboost system modified and installed tomorrow.
Attached Images

'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 04-11-2010 at 10:06 AM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote