The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
sinned

Converting a 4wd to 2wd

Hi folks,

My question refers to a Blazer but I figured the frames are for the most part identical and I might get more eyes on my question in the general forum than in the Blazer specific area.

I’m new to the board but not to world of hot rods, customizing or even Chevy trucks. I know many will consider it sacrilege to chop up a fully functional 4wd vehicle. The most common response is, “Why not just buy a 2wd if that’s what you want.” The answer is simple, there are not too many out there and why spend tens of thousands on a completed 2wd that I am going to tear apart anyway.

I have a very specific plan for my next project which includes the addition of an LS3/4L80E combo, four-wheel 13” disc brakes, 22” wheels with coil-over suspension and a dropped-member. I’m looking to build a cross between a nice driver and something I can toss around the road course once in a while.

That said, since most of the suspension is going to be replaced anyways, will the Porterbuilt dropped-member bolt into a 4wd chassis with minimal fabrication? I was a veteran journeyman mechanic in a previous life and have an above average fabrication skill set but I’m not looking to scratch build a chassis.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sinned; 04-11-2010 at 06:11 PM.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote