The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Engine Build Questions....getting nervous

Ok as I have worked on projects over time it seems with each project I run into a job that I have not done before. I believe in reading and learning and doing it yourself, but I am getting kind of nervous. I have a real good solid platform in my 454. Keeps good oil pressure, pulled and end cap bearings look good, oil is real good. So I ordered about $800 worth of parts for it.

Sorry for the long intro. Now to the problem. This will be my first time installing a new cam, timing set and lifters. I understand the timing chain, I understand how to install the cam itself. My confusion is on the lifters. If someone has a good link I would appreciate it.

The issue I am most concerned with is I understand setting lash and goin 1/2 turn past zero I got that. Do I have to turn the engine and set zero lash for each cylinder. I thought I could just put the cam in, put in the lifters and tighten everything but I think I just caught a mistake maybe not.

ANY experienced help with lifter install would be GREATTTTTTTTT

Last edited by Quackaddict; 04-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote