The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
T2DWhiteTrash

Help before I jack this up.

Kinda my introduction post.. mixed with questions and everything else. I have done plenty of reading and searching so Im not just lazy but tryna get a little help here.

I picked up a lwb, 84 chevy truck.. 305, it's got a thrown rod, figure for a 350 swap.. it has new headers, exhaust, with some body work in need. Scored this for ..$32.09.. Lonnng story, but hella good deal. Ive been looking for a cheap truck to do a complete budget build on as I have other projects and zero overtime anymore... So then, Ill quit yadding and get to the questions.

The body..

It has no rust on the bed, or hood.. has some thru rust on the fenders which I can handle.. but the big concern is the doors and the rocker areas, I would prefer not to purchase new ones and I do have a simple welder but Ive never welded anything with it in my life so I really wanna avoid patching anything.. So heres my situation, can I bondo/fiberglass the bottoms of the doors if theyre thru on the rust? Will this actually hold up? And if I do use a fiberglass, I had seen people using a spray isulation foam to fill holes like what I have in the fender and mid way up on the door. Is this a total fools idea or could this actually work? Can someone recommend brands of fiberglass, bondo to finish with, and if it works the insulating foam? Keep in mind, this is totally budget.. I have a nice truck I drive daily, so Im not needing pro results outta this.. this is more fun and for the experience. I plan to paint it either by rolling the paint as Ive seen or priming it with a gun and leaving it in primer till I have the time to roll the paint..

Suspension..

Ive had an 88 silverado that had a 5-7 inch drop.. and it rode hard as can be.. never bothered me.. Im looking for the cheapest way to do this.. from reading Ive come to conclussion I wanna go the route of cutting the coils one round, drop spindles and a flip kit? If this is correct, can I get some recommendations on the cheapest brands or places to buy this? Witht this drop, I plan on running the stock wheels on it now or another 15" rally..

Interior..

I was hoping to yank some seats outta a new silverado to put in, my buddy owns a junkyard so I can get em really cheap. Will I be able to take the mounting rack from the other truck and just redrill the holes in mine? If so, what kinda hardware should I use to make sure I dont go flying out in the event on an accident.. Again, I warned.. I may be way off.. I just dont wanna go willy nilly on this and totally jack up a decent project.. also, the truck has some cracks in the dash that run all the way down? Do they make a glue that will hold this together and actually work? If not, Ive heard of dash pads.. Is this a bad idea? Same with carpet, I considered really getting backyard on this, but if the precut is cheap en ough could someone recommend a good place for this?

If you've made it this far, and don't have steam blowing outta your ears.. I salute you. Thanks very much any help and ask again for patience.. Appreciate this site as well, Ive already got about 40 threads bookmarked and have learned a lot.. sweet.

Mark
T2DWhiteTrash is offline   Reply With Quote