The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2003, 02:39 AM   #1
Ripley Bryant

Question Worth it???

I looked at a truck today. A '72 GMC K20 4wd short bed.

The biggest issue is rust. there are numerous rust-through holes along the side of the bed where the trim used to be. Rust through around the edges of the floor of the bed and wheel wells inside the bed. The cab corners have bubbles, the door sills are rusted through. There's bondo around the whole front top along the rain gutter. The front grill is rusty as well.

The Driver's side fender is banged up and interferes with the door opening and closing, but there's a good condition replacement fender that comes with the truck.

The Engine is a 350 and seemed to run well. The tranny was an automatic and had leaked all of it's fluid out and wouldn't engage at all. The owners said it drove when it was parked. Looking under the truck, the tranny was covered in tranny fluid. For some reason, they had removed the front driveshaft.

Heater is bypassed. Passenger door is missing the panel, glass, and handles for the latch and window regulator.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the trouble. I'd like to get something I can use while I work on it and am not sure this is it.

Any opinions?

'77 Chevrolet Silverado 20 - 454 BB, TH400, Factory wood floor longbed
'75 Fiat X1/9 - my AutoXer
'77 Fiat X1/9 - her AutoXer
'81 Fiat 2000 Spider - under construction
'00 Dodge Neon - Commuter
'00 Dodge Grand Caravan - Family bus

Last edited by Ripley Bryant; 05-18-2003 at 02:42 AM.
Ripley Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote