The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

Exhaust leaks!

I need help. I hate to admit it, but I'm running out of patience and sanity. Here's the story:

I have a 67 C20 with a 90-something 350. Installed headers and ran new exhaust 2-3 years ago. No matter what I did, I had exhaust leaks around the header/head...ran different types of gaskets, including copper embossed, tried multiple gaskets, tried some adhesive things, nothing....tick, tick, tick. Since then, I started filling my garage with parts do upgrade the engine a bit - Edlebrock Performer RPM heads/cam/intake, new Hedman headers with 3/4" flange. I blew a head gasket last month, so it was time to finally put all this together.

So, everything's back together, it runs pretty well, but yes, of course, you guessed it...header gasket leaks. So before I sell my truck for 1/10th what it's worth and buy an Accord, does anyone have any helpful experience I can draw on? These are new aluminum heads, new [expensive!] headers with big flanges. I've triple checked valves, but I'm pretty certain it's not a valve train ticking because it makes almost no noise when I'm off the throttle and coasting down a hill.

Right now, I have plain old Edlebrock exhaust gaskets installed...graphite whatever they're called, and have re-torqued the header bolts multiple times.

A few non-helpful cell pics attached.
Name:  IMG00019.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  76.9 KB
Name:  IMG00021.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  70.9 KB
Thanks, guys.

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote