The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
AslanRules

Re: Carburetor question for 66 C-10 with 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Don't be bummed, that's not bad news, just different information. If you still choose to put on a new Edelbrock manifold and carb, the intake ports will actually line up better. You can skip the oil fill tube and just install any late model valve covers with breather holes. The only downside would be if you had really wanted it to be an original numbers matching truck.

Hopefully someone else has the answer on the 350/305 question.
Thanks, Mark. Y'know, I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, since this is my first foray into the world of restoring old cars/trucks. I had assumed that the truck had the original engine in it. Silly me. After reading lots-n-lots of blogs and forums, I am realizing that an original numbers truck is the exception rather than the rule, and that I would have really gotten a steal if I had accidentally bought one.

So....since this is either an 1985 305 or a 1972 350, I know I can skip the oil fill tube and go with the twist-in oil-fill-cap, and get newer covers with breathers. BUT.....I would like the engine to look older and more vintage, so I will probably still go with the oil fill tube and keep my older valve covers. Is there any reason NOT to do that? If the engine can still breathe as well with the current configuration, and if there's not too much oil back-flow out of the breather cap, I'm happy to leave as-is.

Boy......this has been, and continues to be, a real education. I love it !!!!

Randy
AslanRules is offline   Reply With Quote