The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Steve Van Gent

Cheap insurance

While I was restoring my truck, i had PLPD insurance through State Farm at $170 per six months, this was no coverage for my truck, only for damage I inflicted. after body work, new interior and new bed wood and tires/rims, I started to become concerned about what would cost me if I had a wreck. I had heard from my agent that when I was getting close to finished to come see him about full coverage. I asked him when I ran into him, asking for quote not because I had any intention of buying extra coverage and additional expense, but I was curious...

Much to my suprise he came back with full coverage at $15,000 cash reimbursement value, $200 per YEAR-it went DOWN by over $100 per year for FULL COVERAGE!!!

This was becuase I met the criteria...

1. It was a classic (think was 30 year old minimum).
2. It met minimum restoration criteria (motor, paint, interior).
3. It was reviewed by agent and underwriter.

THere was NO mileage restrictions or other restrictions at all! And I built this as a STREET ROD-this means I could have put ANY modern upgrade on truck-did not impact the policy. I can use for daily driver....THis was a cash payout policy-not prorate or repair-check for damage. THe payout amount was a number I pulled out of my A##, I could have made any number that the underwriters and apprasiers agreed to. If I do any further improvements, I can adjust this amount.

This is a great aguement for ANYONE to have a classic in the family-saves fortune on insurance. If one puts a good gas milage motor in (such as a crate Z06 motor and tranny-27MPG) and modern suspension and modern conveniences (power windows, cruise, carpet, seats, power brakes, power steering) they would benifit from all.

Needless to say, I converted.
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote