The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
TimQ

Smile I'm just giddy. Getting my 86 back from painter today!! With pics.

I've had this truck for about 12 years. Just bought it for utility purposes to haul mulch, lumber and other stuff. Well, as you can see from the "before" photos below, she was starting to get surface rust and it was time to decide on her fate. Well, I found someone local who does painting out of their back yard shop, got a great price, and went for it.

The paint color turned into a bit of a mystery. My plan was to keep it simple and just do the original blue over the entire truck. The painter got to work and when he started spraying, he called because the color wasn't even close (as you can see) even though he took the codes from the sticker in the glove box. I liked the new color so I said go for it.

The more I thought about it, I now recall seeing some darker blue behind a few places where there was some peeling paint. And, I found a reference book that shows the ligher blue wasn't offered in '86. Odd thing is the interior is the lighter color. So it's still a bit of a mystery how it got this way. But, I like it so it's cool.

Dropped her off back in March, so it has been quite a while. In that time, I picked up a new dash, reupholstered the seats, and began working on a rebuild of the original radio.

These photos are from a recent visit where I put in a new fuel sending unit while the painter had the bed still off. More photos of both before and after as I get everything installed this weekend.

Name:  DSCF0038.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  DSCF0043.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  DSCF0019.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  DSCF0020.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  64.9 KB