The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Psycho71

'85 4wd burb. (New to 4x4's, and have questions)

Hi fellas,
New to this board. Been on the 67-72 for a few years now, just went and picked up an '85 4x4 Burb yesterday. Will be my next project vehicle. I am ignorant about 4x4 stuff, so please answer some very basic questions for me if you can.

Has a 350 engine, 3 spd auto trans, and regular suburban stuff. I have yet to even crawl around under it. So i know nothing about it.

Would it most likely have a 400TH, or 350TH? What transfer case is in it?

It has Warn Locking hubs on the front. Are these preferable?

Will need new wheels and tires. Wanting to do a minimal lift, only if needed to accommodate the tires. Wanting something in the neighborhood of 33x12.5-14.5x?. A couple of questions regarding wheel size.....Is it possible to run a 15" wheel on this truck? If it make any difference, the truck uses a 8x6.5 bolt pattern, and presently has 16" wheels on it. I'd like to run some 15x10's on it. Would I need to order a special backspace? Or will I need the 16" or larger in order to clear calipers and such?

This thing will be getting a mechanical rebuild. Motor and trans at least. Is there any way to bench test the transfer case? The motor is a goner, so no option to test under power at this time. Would like to know everything is gonna work right when I put it all back together.

Thanks in advance for any answers y'all can provide. I'm sure I will be wearing y'all out with stupid questions, at least til I can wrap my brain around the 4wd components aspect of this thing.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 06-13-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote