The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Installed the Western Chassis Flip Kit/Shackles! Pics and details included

Finally got around to installing the Western Chassis flip kit and drop shackles. In my post under "Projects/Builds, you will see I had to cut all the leaf spring eye bolts off, there fore I installed all new Energy Suspension bushings and grade 8 bolts.

I also got the Doetsch Nitro Slammer shocks with the kit since Sport Truck Direct seems to praise them. Well after reading some reviews here..... I wish I passed. Oh well, I'll have to see how they ride.

On the new WC Shackles, the bushing sleeve was too long. It would not allow install into the rear hanger, so, I shaved some of the sleeve off and they went in fine.

The flip brackets fit great. The u-bolts are bigger than the axle tube, too wide. I started a post a few weeks back about this, and there was quite a bit of debate. I ended up using them. I did a test run around the neighborhood, and nothing came loose or shifted. I will re-torque tomorrow. If I were running a blown big block pushing serious HP, I would 100% opt for better fitting u-bolts.

I posted a few hours ago, confusion I had about the bottom retaining plate. There are two holes, a center and an off center hole close to each other. I test fitted it in the center hole and it didn't seem right. Fit much better on the offset hole but now, a fellow member says it actually should be in the center.... so I will probably have to re-adjust. Seems like it's fine the way it is though. U-bolts are all spaced evenly, not like it's an obvious screw up.

Also, WC instructions state to install the bottom shock bolts inwards. Well, as another member told me, this isn't too practical as it would require you to remove the flip kit brackets/ u-bolts to change shocks. So, I cheated an installed them outwards. The passenger side shock, since it's placed on the back side of the axle, needed some "adjustment". I had to shave down the shock nut, so I could slide the bolt through and tighten. All is good though!

When I lowered it back to the ground on the wheels, I couldn't believe how low it is. The spare tire is almost on the ground, well that could also be because of the front not being lowered yet.

Driveshaft angle is better than stock!

It was a nice feeling stepping into the truck with rockers/floor boards closer to earth And the front isn't even dropped yet!

I took it for a test ride around the neighborhood. Felt fine, even did a holeshot to make sure everything was tight In the pics, you will see the tailpipes hanging down extremely low. They are cut, just dangling there. I had to cut them due to the drop. What a difference in sound w/o tailpipes! I plan to dump the exhaust directly over the rear.

I notice the driver side Doetsch shock, makes an air swooshing noise when the suspension is compressed...... maybe this is one of the reasons for the poor reviews? I sure hope they aren't already blown! Is that what the air noise indicates?

All in all, it was a good experience. It wasn't just buy the kit and go. At least for me. To sum it up, I needed all new leaf spring/shackle bolts and bushings, had to shave the WC shackle sleeves, and had to modify the shock bolts to install.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 06-17-2010 at 09:13 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote