The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
dbenamati

Angry My luck is certainly not getting better...

Not a question but just had to vent. Just got my truck back from the garage from an anual inspection last week. Over $700.00 for all new wheel cylinders , bearings, ball joints and brake lines. Had to have it done since I don't have the tools or the time to do it. I had it back for two days and noticed my choke cable was very lose. Opened the hood and removed the air filter to notice my screw on plastic choke kit was missing, just flew off and the cable was swinging in the breeze. I had a spare in the toolbox so I started taking out the screws. One sprung out and couldnt find it any where. I just put the new plastic piece on and went about business as usual. Later that day I went to the sitters to pick up my son and heard a loud clanging noise from under the hood and just pulled the truck right into the garage. I knew what happend. That little screw went down the carb! Later that night, went to the store and got new manafold gaskets and proceded to take the carb and manifold cover off. Found the screw at the edge of the manifold as I was taking it off. It was beat to the thickness of a dime. Put everything back together and even changed the valve cover gasket to check the springs and overhead valve (it's an I-6 "250"). Nothing out of place but as I turned the truck on, clanging still there. Truck idles fine and no more noticable exhaust than usaual. I got the whole screw but the neighbor who was listining says I have a cracked piston. I don't usally cus alot but said a few choice words beginning with F. Dont have the money to put it back into the garage at $70 an hour and don't really have the know how for detailed engine work. I have a manual that covers GM trucks from 67-87 but it doesnt show much with 6 cylinders. I guess it will just sit in the garage till I can save more money or I decide to take it on my self. Sorry guys, just needed to vent. It took me 2 years of body work myself to get it back on the road and am just frustrated.

Thanks, Dave