The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
JGray

New Guy - Introduction

I've been a fan of these older trucks since I was a kid - my Dad had a 72 Suburban that I learned to drive on in the mid-70's. I always wanted a 4x4 Blazer and bought a 71 w/ 350/AT in 1992 that was in beautiful shape - no rust, fresh paint, perfect interior. A year or two later I found a 72 SWB 4x4 w/ 4 speed in similar condition and ended up buying it as well. I ended up selling the 72 SWB a few years later, keeping the Blazer - been kicking myself ever since. The Blazer is now in need of of all the major rust repair/patch panel work, the interior is shot and I've lost interest in it as I'd rather have a P/U (plus my wife hates the old Blazer ). As luck would have it, I just found a 72 SWB 4x4 w/ 4 speed that is in better shape than either of the other ones I've owned (plus my wife loves it ), so needless to say it followed me home with the promise that the Blazer would go. It's had a lot of work done to it, but it appears to have been done a number of years ago. Best information I have indicates it has spent most of the last 8 or 10 years garaged. It needs a few minor things done now and will need a clutch in the near future, otherwise runs and drives great. I just added some 3 point retractable seat belts, since there was nothing in it.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions as I tinker with this one to "finish it", but will start with an engine question:

About 10 years ago, I put a new zz4 crate motor in the Blazer and it currently has 40-50k miles on it and runs great. The 72 I just bought has an LT1 (I was told) that is "fresh" but no verification of mileage. I'm not familiar with the LT1's other than what I've been searching out on the web over the last week. The LT1 definitely has a pronounced whining sound from under the hood that I assume is the gear driven water pump. It is a carb motor with rear distributor, so I really don't know what I have - early 70's LT1 vs. mid 90's, etc. Next step is to clean it up and verify aluminum vs. iron heads, block numbers, etc.

My initial thought was to swap the two motors to keep the zz4, but I am now having second thoughts - the more I drive it, the more I'm liking it just the way it is. It feels snappier off the line than my zz4, but doesn't seem to have the punch at higher rpms. Not really a valid comparison due to the Blazer being an automatic w/ 3.07 gears vs. the P/U being a 4 speed w/ 3.73 gears. I've done numerous searches here and on Google on LT1 vs. zz4 and have come to the conclusion that the zz4 is a little more motor, but most of the LT1 info I'm turning up is related to mid 90's computerized/fuel injected motors. I'm having a heck of a time deciding if it is worth it to do an engine swap before I send the Blazer off to someone looking for a body and paint project. I'd sure love to here some opinions on these two motors and swapping if it makes any sense...

Jerry

Here are some pics of it before I wrote the check. The color looks a little off (pinkish) due to the cel phone camera - it is what I would call Corvette Red:
Attached Images

JGray is offline   Reply With Quote