The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf781 View Post
Just found your build thread and I must say great work. I'm kinda like you and plan on taking all of this on yet have no experience with body work or welding so it will be an interesting ride for sure.

Good work and thanks for keeping us updated.
Thanks for reading and the feedback. A couple tips for the newbies.
1. Get the right tools. That doesn't mean you have to buy high end stuff, just get some good sanding blocks, the right sandpaper, a decent welder that is rated for welding the thinner sheetmetal. Power/air tools are a must. I had one makita angle grinder when I started and now have 3 so I don't have to keep changing wheels from cutting to grinding to sanding, etc. The new ones are $20 specials and work just fine.
2. Practice welding on scrap sheetmetal to get comfortable with it. It's not that hard because all your doing is a series of tack welds. Hold the trigger for less than a second most of the time. Move the tip slightly across the seam during that.
3. If the choice comes up between replacing the panel or repairing it, if there is a good rust free part available, use it. I probably had 10 hours minimum on each door. They are a pain and I would avoid doing it again if possible.
4. Find experienced people and use them. Some body repair guys are very willing to help you out. Both local and here on the board. I've borrowed tools, had them look at might work, and gotten tips for just about every single thing I've done so far. Thanks again James, and all you others from the paint & body section that have answered my questions and helped me out.
5. Be patient. You will have to lay filler in more than once, probably more than 3 times before you get it right. Sanding s**ks and is time consuming and dirty work. Everything in your garage will be dusty, and I mean every single thing.

I'm not doing anything fancy, not much for cool mods. I am doing what most of us on the board need to do and logging all my failures and successes. As Bruce88 says, enjoy your build.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote