The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
PatrickGMC70

Unhappy 1970 Fuel Tank and Smell Question

Okay, I realize I'm a newb and this question may sound a little dumb, but I have to ask:

When these trucks were new, I assume it was NOT normal for the cab to smell like fuel, right? I mean, I can't imagine someone plunking down a whole bunch of money for a brand new truck in 1970, and then being okay with their clothes smelling like gas for the rest of the day.

The reason for my question is that I recently replaced the tank, sending unit, fuel line, cab grommet and fuel cap in my truck (basically everything), and I still get out of the truck smelling like gas. (Yes, I checked and the sending unit seal is intact and seated.)

Now, the smell has been greatly reduced from the old tank, but nonetheless, I can't drive the thing anywhere without stinking. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the seat is permanently smelly now, but I don't think that's the problem because ALL of my clothes smell, not just my back and butt (the parts touching the seat)

I've seen a lot of threads where someone moves the tank to eliminate the smell - which is making me come to believe that people just put up with this back then. I find that hard to believe, but I'm hoping to find the answer here. Thanks in advance.
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote