The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Choptop32

Power steering box mounting problem/question

Ok, I bought my 65 panel all done with power steering in place. I did a 5 lug conversion on the front and rear, 2.5 drop spindles in front and 2 inch springs in front, new ball joints, new tie rod ends different size tires, different wheels... the works.

I take the truck on its shake down run and after about 700 miles (I go for long shake down runs ) there is a BIG dead spot in the steering. BAD. Turn the wheel... nothing happens. I figure everything just needs to be retourqued... I get it home and everything is as tight as a drum. No slop. The ball joints are all good, A arms are mounted firm. Everything is lubed just fine.

Note... before I did all the work above there was no dead spot in the steering.

So I have my wife get in the truck and rock the wheel back and forth in the dead spot in the steering, I get under the truck to see if I can see where the slop is coming from. Everything looks good... except.....

I can see the steering box rocking back and forth, and twisting the frame a little while its doing it. So I'm pretty sure I've found my source of the dead spot in the steering....

So I order up a CapitanFab steering box mounting plate to put on there and help stiffen things up some... I go to put it on today and find that the box is only attached with 3 bolts. One of the bolt ears is lined up the curve at the bottom of the frame and would not allow for a hole to be drilled to mount it.

sooooooooo.... my question is.... is my power steering box mounted in the wrong spot? What is the RIGHT spot for it to be mounted? Will the CapitanFab plate help me? Do I need a different power steering box and pitman arm? What power steering box do i have?

I've included pics.

Here is the ear that lines up with the curve in the frame and doesnt allow for a hole/bolt attachment.

Last edited by Choptop32; 07-04-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Choptop32 is offline   Reply With Quote