The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
JonFrankMc

A couple of Q's about my '71 GMC

Ok guys, I had the opportunity to work on my truck over the Holiday weekend and am needing some answers about some various topics including my emergency brake, throttle cable, and interior setup.

I put the vent doors in and ran into a problem with the emergency brake. It was mounted to the outside of the dash with a random bolt which I can assume isn't correct and the cable is extremely long and ran through a hole made in the firewall by the PO. It has never worked and blocks the handle to the vent door. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? the cable ran horizontally rather than downward like the LMC catalogue showed.

Next is the throttle cable, the cable does not seem to be ran correctly. It is the correct cable but the rod does not seem to be long enough. Is it the right one for a 71? As you can tell I had to shim the cable to get full throttle. Where the cable comes through the firewall is about an inch higher than the top of the rod. What needs to be done?

Third, the steering has extreme laxity and now the joint appears to be leaking grease. It looks like where all the "play" is coming from. How can I fix this? Does the column need replacing?

Lastly, my interior has wood trim. Does anyone know where it came from?

Thanks for reading the lengthy post. All suggestions are appreciated.
JonFrank

Last edited by JonFrankMc; 07-05-2010 at 11:35 PM.
JonFrankMc is offline   Reply With Quote