The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Sixxer

Keg Tank

Hello there, just figured I would post this little DIY here. I wanted to remove the cab mounted gas tank, for gas smell reasons and the original tank was taking up prime real estate for a subwoofer. Not wanting to $200+ bucks on a rear mounted under chassis tank and being a member of killbillet.com a beer keg was the obvious choice haha.

Several goals of this project...
1. Under $100 dollar budget
2. Must have a fuel level sender
3. Must look awesome and rat-roddy

All parts

First holes drilled, the main one needed to be big enough to fit my arm through to tighten the fuel line fitting from the inside. Hole saw size is 3 1/4.
The other smaller hole is for the fuel level sender and is 1 1/2"

Here is the fuel fitting, and two nuts that will be used to tighten the fitting to the keg. The hose barb is 5/16 to match the existing factory fuel line size. I drilled the hole as low in the keg as possible without putting the fuel line at a sharp angle because the top and bottom of the keg is domed.

Also in this photo you can see one of the holes that will mount the keg to the bed.

Inside view.

Fuel level sender - as is out of box... will need a few modifications.

Did a few 90 degree bends so it clears the kegs pick up tube and also set up the float so that when the keg is a little above 1/4 the gauge will read empty. I did for several reasons.
1. The way the keg is shaped mean that it will stay full for a very short period of time because of the round shape. It will stay half for awhile but then as it goes lower it will start going fast again. So this way I kinda have a better warning to get to a gas station.
2. Because of the kegs domed shape top and bottom I couldn't place the fuel outlet as low as I wanted. So Empty is actually sooner than later.

Installed

I used 5 10-24 Machine screws, #10 washers and 10-24 KEPS nuts from the back to bolt it together. I used the supplied cork gasket but also threw some RTV on it as well.

Next step was to fab up a filler neck and cap. I wanted to reuse my old cab and neck so I made this mount. Cut down the filler neck to the the proper height and gave is a small curve to match my mounting ring.

Bolted it down in place with 8 1/4-20 phillips head machine screws, washers and 1/4-20 KEPS nuts. I used a healthy dose of RTV between the keg and the mount and cleaned up the splooge after it was tightened down.

Mounted and almost finished. Tomorrow I'll wire up the fuel sender and run the new rubber line up to the old hard line.

And I know people are going to ask about the bed... yes it is made of street signs on top of 3/4" plywood, sealed and painted satin black. I've posted it on here several time but everybody always asks. I work with the police for my day job, don't worry. That's actually how the idea came about. I have them with permission and under clean circumstances.

Sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote