The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2003, 08:44 PM   #1
SLS
Finish the'71..or bust!

New Member Wants Your Opinion On First Purchase!

Hello, fellow classic Chevy truck lovers!

I am SLS and have been 'lurking' this board for quite some time...gathering up precious info on what has been a long time dream of mine-fixing up an old Chevy truck.

First I want to say that this board is FANTASTIC and the wealth of info (and humorous stories) is awesome. Thank you all for sharing and contributing. I too (with trial, error, money, blood, sweat , and tears) hope to become a contributor as well.

I have been searching for a 67-72 for 3 years now...no hurry, just scoping, learning, and saving my dough for the day I found my 'pet project'. Today might have been just that day...thus I am now registering and pestering you experts.

Here is my predicament:

While off on my ritual Sunday cruise, searching the backroads of rural Tennessee I spotted yet another candidate for my loving attention and money spending. I have looked at many but this one just may be 'the one'....so I humbly ask for your opinions.

It is a 1971 Cheyenne shortbed that came with A/C from the factory. It has a 350/350 Turbo combination that are NOT the originals. It has power disc brakes and power steering. It has a coil-over rear suspension. No clue as to the gearing in the differential or if it is a posi or not. The owner says they came out of a Z-28 (4 bolt) but I know that the first generation Z's were 302's....so who knows? The engine sounds great and transmission performs well (although the rear trans seal is seeping a little). The drive shaft is out of balance so it may have to go...or it could be the U-Joints.

Like almost all the other trucks I've looked at this one has the dreaded rust problems. The rockers have been patched already (as well as several other places on the body) but the tops were still solid and the patched places were rather small...but still I want to replace them. The cab corners appeared solid but I did not take a magnet to them...so they may have been repaired before the current paint job (which is trashed yellow). There is no carpet and just a couple of very small rust holes in the left floor panel (not mush bigger than a dime). The doors are rough and the windshield is cracked...but the owner has a solid set of door shells and a new windshield that are a part of the deal. I will want to find a good tailgate too...this one is shot along it's lower edge.

Mainly it is the bed itself that is the real bummer. The inner and outer sides are not too bad an appear to never have been hit...but the floor has some 'hole' issues where the bed meets the cross support (dont they all?). One of the holes has even eaten completely through the cross brace. Boo!

Like I said earlier, this one came from the factory with air (round vents on dash corners...not underdash add on type) and everything appears to be intact...except the compressor itself. Another boo!

My question is this:

With the above described condition is $2000 too much to pay? I get 2 door shells and a new window...but there is quiet a bit to do (and spend) to get it 'right'. I am willing and able to bring this truck back to life if it is worth it. For some reason I'm thinking a '71 Cheyenne Shortbed with factory AC, Power disc brakes, and power steering is a desirable and worthy candidate...............

What do you guys think????

Money pit! Run away!

OR......

Go for it, dude!

Thanks for reading this long-winded post. Hopefully I will be making shorter post from here on out.....but this one is important to me. I've been looking (and saving) for a long time. I really don't want to blow it. The fellow who is selling it has "gotten in over his head" and lacks the time and doughnuts to DO IT RIGHT. Should I give it a shot?

Last edited by SLS; 06-01-2003 at 08:55 PM.
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote