The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

So I just had an interesting drive...

So I picked up my "new" '65 C10 last Friday and drove it 150 miles back home without any real issues. The next day it won't start. I got it jumped and was warming it up a little so I could move it into my driveway. I start to move and it died. Open the hood and try to jump it again and noticed the starter cable had rubbed on the headers and was sparking a little. Oh crap! Glad that didn't happen on the long drive home.

So this past weekend my buddy and I cleaned up all the wiring and got the lights working, starter rewired and the alt. charging again. Cool, now I just need some new tires as the ones on it were old and dry rotting.

Okay... I'm getting to the drive, hang in there... So yesterday I test fitted my slot mags to make sure they would clear and to figure out what tire size I wanted. The lug nuts that were on there were some funky type where it was a combo mag style with an acorn taper. Problem was they would bottom out before really tightening up correctly. No problem, they will get replace when the slot mags go on.

On to today... Ordered the tires and they get them in this afternoon. Cool, I'll drive up, have the mounted to the slot mags and put on. Well that was a great idea but I guess they see more of the "ricer" crowd and not hot rodders so they didn't have an mag lug nuts in stock. Fine, I'll drive home and just go out later and get some at NAPA. So I am about a half mile from my house when I hear some thing go clank. Then another. Then it seems a little loose and then I hear that telltale sound of a wheel coming off. Luckily I wasn't going too fast and was able to pull right over.

Get out and sure enough I don't see any lug nuts and the drum is resting on the inside of the wheel but hadn't come completely off nor did the wheel hit the fender. Woo Hoo!!!! Lucked out big time. No real damage.

Called the wife to come pick me up, when and got my other truck, jack and some lug nuts. Got back to the '65, jacked it up, got the wheel back on and luckily no damage to the threads, and got it back home. Sure am glad I didn't decide to drive in rush hour traffic to NAPA like had crossed my mind...

Now I need to go up and get some mag lug nuts... hoping NAPA has the correct one and enough of them. Will post up pics once I get the new wheel/tire combo on.

Not quite what I had planned on doing this evening but it sure kept it from being boring.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote