The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
JGross

Need help from the suspension gurus

I am converting my 65 C10 over to power steering and because the new gearbox will relocate the pitman arm I will need to reset the entire front suspension geometry. I have the welding skills and equipment to modify the parts but I lack the knowledge to know what to modify.

Here’s Where I’m At:

I have installed a power steering gearbox using an adapter plate welded to the frame. I made sure that the pitman arm angel matched the idler arm angel, however the drag link is now lower on the pitman arm side than the idler arm side.

This Is What I Think I Need To Do:

Relocate the Idler so that the drag link is level and parallel to the crossmember. Then I will modify the drag link so that the pitman arm and idler arm are parallel. This will be accomplished by adding or removing material from the drag link between the pitman and idler arm attachment points. When this is complete I will ensure that the steering gearbox is in the center of its travel then I will modify the drag link so that the tie rods are equal length when both wheels are pointing straight forward. I will also try to make sure that the angle of the tie rods match the angle of upper and lower control arms.

What else should I do?

Thanks
JGross is offline   Reply With Quote