The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
colin_havens

licence plate issues

I had an interesting experience this morning at the DMV, and just had to share. I went in to renew the tags on my daily and the wifes car, and FINALLY get tags for the 67. I moved to Mountain Home, Arkansas just over a year ago, but never put AR plates on the 67 since I could not drive it. A busted transmission pump and a BAD power steering leak kept me from being able to drive it, as well as some other small issue. Well I got it running and driving 3 weeks ago, so I knew I best replace my Mississippi antique plates with some AR ones before I drove it too much, and had Jonnie Law asking me questions.

So while I am in there, the teller next to the lady Im working with overhears that Im tagging a 1967 Chevy, and has some questions. SO of corse, like any car guy, I tell him about it, and show him a picture, which the lady I'm working with looks at also. She then tells me that SHE CANNOT ISSUE ME AN ANTIQUE TAG NOW THAT SHE HAS SEEN THE TRUCK?!?!? I get really confused, because for 3 years I ran an antique tag on my truck, and never had a problem. Apparently in AR, your vehicle must be in origional condition (wheels, motor, paint code, EVERYTHING) in order to qualify for one of those. I was floored. Not that the $25 a year for tags is going to break me, but come on?!? She said she figured that the state felt that if you could afford to modify one, you could afford to pay for the tags every year. Which just made me laugh, because I know for a fact that guys that are into doing full restorations have WAAAAY more in their ride than I do in mine. But they qualify for the antique tags, and now I do not.

Now Im not complaining, I actually thought it was a little funny. The lady that helped me was nothing but nice, and even showed me the affidavit you have to sign for the state when you get antique tags. She at the end would have done it, but the fact is if an officer just decided to throw the book at me, could write me a ticket for incorrect tags, and I believe its not a cheap one. SO I went ahead and just got a regular tag anyway, but at least I can get a personalized one if I want to now.

Just thought Id share my interesting morning.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote