The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
hoog

Drop Spindle Fitment Issue

Some background info first...

I have a '65 short fleet that someone up the chain of ownership had changed over to disc brakes. I have no clue what he did, other than it has 1 inch rotors. I believe the donor truck might be mid '80's based on the tranny, tilt column and bench seat...but who knows.

I'm mid install of DJM 3" drop spindles and ran into an interference problem. Both ball joints are new and sure looked identical to the ones I replaced. The bottom is fine, but after tightening the top nut there is a lip on the DJM spindle that hits the upper control arm before even squaring up. In other words.. it don't turn to the left. See..

It also looks to hit before reaching full travel to the right. The DJMs also have a prominent lip that you can see here.

The spindles are the same height, same UBJ hole diameter, but the DJMs are obviously much thicker castings.

So my question(s) before I start grinding on these things... Has anybody else run into this? Is there possibly another UBJ with a different taper I should be using? Any guesses? Been a loooooong time since I did any of this kinda thing, so there is the distinct possibility of severe brain fade on my part.
hoog is offline   Reply With Quote