The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
1956cameo

Labor Day project!

Since the suburban section usually moves a little slow I thought I would show what I did to my burb over the Labor Day weekend.

Since I have no shop and it is still HOT outside I parked the old burb under a shadetree and went to work.

The task for the weekend was to get rid of the old 45 gallon dealer installed tank and put in a new factory style tank. I had a couple of reasons for wanting to do this. First this tank is so big that I cant put a frame hitch on the suburban. This is an issue for me because once I get the engine rebuilt I plan on this bieng my tow rig/ swap meet rig. Second even though the tank looked clean when I first re installed it, I have constantly been sucking up rust particles and fine sediments out of the old tank. The third reason is my favorite. My parents bought a new gas tank kit for my birthday so the only thing this project cost me was time. Picture of the old tank.

It was a pretty decent job getting the tank out by myself; especially since it had about 25 gallons of gas in it. Here is a picture of the old tank and new tank side by side. The old tank must be even rustier on the inside than it is on the outside.

There are no pictures of me fighting with the new tank to get it in, but trust me nothing about this job was easy. Now if there would have been two people doing this it would have been a very easy job. I spent alot of time crawling under the burb only to get back out for a forgotten tool, or rolling around looking for a tool that I was laying on. Anyways it took much longer than anticipated but here is the finished project.

After getting the tank in I noticed the burb was running rough so I had my dad rebuild the carb for me. When I put it back on it ran great but was dripping fuel out from the housing where the fuel line goes into the carb. To stop this I put some teflon tape on the fuel line threads and re installed the line. Unfortunately I severely cross threaded it and ruined my carburator; or at least the housing of the carburator. So now I am on the lookout for another early generation quadrajet. I will post a WTB in the parts section so if anyone thinks they might have what I need please check that thread out for me. Heres a picture of my carburator I accidently trashed. The tape is where I labeled vacuum lines.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote