The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
baclay9

Looking for a cam suggestion for BBC

I have another thread about this motor somewhere else but wanted to ask a specific question in this section

I have been looking at cams and have narrowed it down to either the xe274 or xe284 from Comp. I will give you the info I know about my engine but if you need to know something else just let me know.

454 bored .60
781 heads with 2.19/1.88 valves and a little porting work.(in the works)
Around 10:1 Compression.(Assumption right now)
Steel balanced crank
holly 750 w/ vacuum sec.
Performer intake
3.73 gears
Stall converter yet to be determined.

This truck is just going to be a toy for weekend driving. Not a daily driver at all. I want something that is still going to make enough vacuum for my power brakes. Can you guys point me in the right direction. I can't find any Big Blocks on youtube running the xe284 cam. they are all SB. I am wanting a mean sounding lope but I know I shouldn't base my cam decision souly off how it sounds at idle. I need something somewhat streetable so it isn't a complete pain to drive. I don't want a cam so big it is dying at stoplights and stuff. Thanks for your help and if you need more info please let me know.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote