The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

GPS Speedometer Install

-
The GPS speedometer arrived today so I figured I might as well play around with it. I had a trashed instrument cluster that I could experiment with so I started the modifications on it. The first picture shows the components of the kit. The second shows the lens mod. I cut the hole with a pair of dividers by going in a circle until it cut through the plastic. You might be able to use a hole saw but it would have to be turning very slow and probably need to be cooled with water. Third the tin mod I did with a hole saw in a drill press. You have to go very slow with this too and wear gloves. If it catches it will probably ruin the tin. I let one end of the tin rest against the drill press post as a stop. The fourth picture shows the speedo installed in the tach hole. I didn't have to modify the bezel for the 3 3/8" speedo. As seen in pictures 5 & 6 I soldered the black and white wires from the power inverter to the main power harness wires and used heat shrink tubing on them. This just saves running two more wires out the back of the instrument panel. Picture 7 shows the plug in connector I installed in the constant power wire so all three wires from the speedo can be unplugged. That way the retainer can be unscrewed and removed to get the speedo out of the cluster. Picture 8 shows the connections to the fuse block on my '67 and picture 9 shows the antenna connection on the back of the speedo. The cable is 15 feet long and the block on the end has a really strong magnet in it. Don't get it too close to your Digital camera or your cell phone 'cause it will probably erase the stuff on them…

I bought the white face one because I'm going to order the white decal kit. The last picture is with the speedo set in the stock hole. If a person was going to do this I think the 4" one would look better although it does match the size of the fuel gauge. If it had a black face it would look better too.

Hopefully I will be able to get it put in the truck in the next couple of days but I'm going to a swap meet tomorrow so it probably wont happen then. I will be adding to this when I get it in…

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote