The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
SBTork
Garage wrench

LY6 6.0 into an '85 C10 Suburban

This is my DD, it's a lowered '85 C10 Suburban, I will be sure to post pics once this project gets underway. My plans are to upgrade to a nice solid LSx drivetrain for the purpose of DDing it. Maybe some weekend towing and mainly just crusin'. Maybe the occasional 1/4 mile pass but MAYBE once a year, just for fun.

I am in search of some advice/guidance on this project. I've done a lot of research on gen3 LSx swaps but nothing on gen4 LSx swaps. I am sure most will crossover but I have a few concerns. I will start with what I THINK I know.

I should upgrade to a 87-91 Suburban fuel tank and fuel sender. To gain baffles in tank, not a required upgrade but i've heard it's worth while. I need a new fuel pump that would be a direct replacement for a newer vortec GM truck, acdelco pn ep381. I am unsure if I need to use the 'vette style fuel filter/regulator or if I can use something else. I assume I should just run all new fuel lines front to back to avoid any future problems. I have a set of fuel injectors and rails from a 2004 Tahoe with the flex fuel 5.3, will those work with this LY6?

Can I use my stock 700R4 or should I try to find a newer 4L60E? I would run a 4L80E but I am not sure I need it and don't really want to put up with the power loss. This engine is always going to be N/A so I think a slightly modified 4L60E would do just fine.

The PCM/ECM's on these are unique from what I know. I know they don't use a seperate electronic throttle module like the up to '06 trucks do. The stock '08 system goes from the gas pedal straight to the PCM/ECM? Is that part of the engine wiring harness, or something else?

I am collecting parts for this swap over winter and plan on doing the swap early next spring, I just want to get everything lined up and make sure I have a good understanding of it all before I tear into it. I am sure more things will pop into my head as I go, but if anyone has any tips or suggestions please fell free.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote