The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Question Brake troubleshooting help needed

Today I replaced both front calipers on the '79 shortbed I acquired yesterday. As I mentioned in my build thread (link below), the front passenger caliper seized up while taking the truck off the trailer. (At least, I'm assuming it seized up. That wheel, and only that wheel, locked up good and tight and nothing was gonna make it move again.) At only $14 each, I replaced both calipers instead of just the one -- would have been crazy not to while I had all the tools out. The pads were still good on both sides, so I just cleaned them up and reused them. Hoses looked to be in good condition as well.

Here's the problem: even with both front bleeders wide open, the brake pedal is rock hard and won't move more than an inch or so. With both front wheels spinning freely now, I have virtually no brakes. As far as I can tell, no fluid is moving through the front lines at all.

Fluid in the reservoir is exactly where it should be. Back wheels seem to turn just fine (moved the truck carefully using a big log in front of a wheel to stop the truck). Any ideas? Could the MC be frozen up? I'm not an expert when it comes to brake systems and could use some advice. I really don't want to spend hundreds of hours on this and was naively expecting to just replace a caliper, bleed the brakes, and be done with it.

Thanks,
Brent

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote