The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

59 Chevy Fleetside LSx build

After some good ideas from the people here on this board I have decided that the build result will be mostly original on the top side and mostly late model on the underside. I知 starting with a very complete 59 fleet side with the stainless bed trim, big window custom cab. It has chrome front and rear bumpers and chrome grille. The bed is in really good shape as is the SS trim and ends. The paint will be the original Tartan Turquoise, not sure if I知 going to do any white on it yet but paint is way down the road.

I have a 5.3 with a 4l60e I知 in the middle of rebuilding. I bought it as a 5.3 with 60,000 on it. Turns out it was a 4.8 with 225,000 on it and the bad Castech heads that were cracked. At that mileage I decided to do a rebuild. I needed new pistons and crank so I went with a 5.3 crank, rods and a set of flat tops for a 04 so I could get the floating pins. The cam is out of a LS1 and only slightly bigger than the 5.3 stock cam. I also got a good set of 04 5.3 heads. I wanted a relatively stock motor so it would be a good driver with good mpg.

The front clip I am using was the RB痴 Obsolete clip that uses A or G body suspension parts. I picked up the clip from a guy that didn稚 complete his father son build for $300. The price was right so I went with it.

For the rear I知 going with a 12 bolt truck rear with Torino housing ends to eliminate the C clips. With this setup I can use 98 Explorer disc brakes and have the integral parking brake. It makes for a sweet setup that looks like it belongs there. Not sure if I知 going with a 4 bar and bags or leaf springs but that痴 a ways off.

I知 going to start with the clip while the sheet metal is still all on the truck and the door and fender gaps are good. I値l post pics as I go.

Here are some of the current picture and one of what I would like the result to be like. Not real crazy about all that white so that may not happen
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote