The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
DQ81

Let me introduce myself...

Hello all, great site. Looked around for a year or so, finally got around to registering. I have a few q's, I've searched but turned up few threads that actually had a conclusion...

I'm the proud owner of several k5's, a 4x4 and a 2wd. Also have an '87 Burb but it's on the way out.

Here's some pics, I also have some question, perhaps more advice needed on what route to go on the rear drop. I've got bell tech spindles and some drop springs left over from my old truck (my ex crashed it past winter, not her fault, but still blows!)

But wasn't able to salvage the rear shackle kit.

Here's the old Blazer (not the best shots as it's half on the pavement):

and after it met with a concrete wall on both sides (semi slicks and ice, not good)...nobody got hurt, that's the most important thing, except my wallet and truck! Front chassis rails were bent in 8 inches...The front fender had to be pried back out to get it on a trailer. The drivers side front wheel was egg shaped due to the bodywork bending it, the doors buckled up top, dead truck

So I just got this 1980 2wd k5 with a 305 (blehg!) for just about free . I have a 454 going in at the end of the month

and yes I've already got a billet grille on the way, that thing looks fugly!

The rear spring pack, should at the least be able to get rid of that bottom spring, should give me an inch or so and a less bouncy ride...

In the meantime I have some welding to do, 2 doors to replace but otherwise she's in very good shape. It's going to be a daily driver that I can beat on and def. not a resto. Just needs to be 90% rustfree and I'm gonna roll it matt red (almost primer/brick red) as it kinda matches the colour it has now so no interior stuff will need reworking. I intend to black out the windows as well and drop it. Keeping steel wheels all round or going with 20's, or both. In any case I'll start with steel, 8J up front and 10J's in the rear.

I still have my Belltech spindles and front springs from my old Blazer (no shocks though or rear shackle kit) it was dropped with shackles and 2 leafs removed from the rear. I don't ever tow so it's a non issue. Ride was smooth.

Here are some example pics of what I roughly want to do with this truck in terms of stance. I like a bit of a rake though but really want to try and keep this thing practical as somehow all my cars en up on their bellies .

How shall I tackle the back this time? I don't want to C notch it. ( I didn't do the drop myself on the old truck, bought it that way, but have dropped a million Beetles, Amazone's etc.)

So how to go about getting the rear down without having to do a C notch, I've searched but turned up few threads that actually had a conclusion...

I really like the ride height of this truck, but might want a tad lower:

Something like this is probably ideal for me:

Or this (perhaps an inch too low) but it looks so damned sweet:

And this thing is rad, props to whoever built/ownes that one!:

Actually after looking at them in sequence, they all look pretty much the same ride height, just different wheel/tires give a different look.

How to tackle the rear drop?
DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote