The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
hilandr452

Engine Upgrade on my 71 !

OK so it's time to retire the 402. It has low power, leaks everywhere, and needs to be rebuilt and given a good home. The carb is a quadrajet and it has stock intake.

I have an 83 one ton GMC with a 454 that only has 10k miles on it after rebuild that I used to use as my camper. It is wrecked on the side you don't see here and it will be the donor truck.

Here's the donor engine being repainted.

All shiny with the headers on and on the engine stand.

About a year ago, I replaced the turbo 400 with a rebuilt one out of a chevelle. The speedo hasn't worked since then, so I pulled it with the engine to bench it and figure out why. The drive worm gear on the tail shaft was missing, so I replaced it with the old one I still had. Those little clips are wierd so I looked it up and saw that all you have to do is hold the spring clip down and slide out the gear.

With the tranny fixed, I bolted it up to the new motor.

Heres the truck sans motor.

and the installation...

Look at this mess!!!

I added an Edelbrock performer and an Edelbrock 750 CFM square bore carb, same as Carter AFB.

Well, that's the story so far, I need to install the headers and fab the exhaust a little to fit. Then finish up with the radiator and all hoses and fuel lines. I'll let you guys know how it runs!

See you soon!

Dan
73 Chevy Camper Special (Yes, it's badged a camper special) Flat Bed Motorhome conversion 454, standard tranny

"DON'T TREAD ON ME !!!"

My Project: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20829244 , http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24654442
hilandr452 is offline   Reply With Quote