The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Wincks2

Should we get an old Blazer?

Winter is coming and we live in Manitoba, Canada with flat land, snow and cold temperatures.

Putting away our summer daily driver (see below) and looking for a winter daily driver that we could also drive in the summer.

Blazier/Jimmy seems like a good idea because of the hardtop for winter and the top off for summer and it is big and strong enough to keep my wife and kids safe on the icy roads.

Wont be doing any off roading, so I guess 2wd is the way to go. Assume less to go wrong with 2wd too.

Probably automatic as my wife hasn't driven a standard and I haven't in years.

Vast majority of miles will be city driving,

Threads on this board seem to suggest gas mileage for most blazers will be 9 to 14 mpg.

Thinking of something old because I've been testing a theory that older vehicles have fewer parts and few or no computers to malfunction and are physically easier to work on, thereby allowing them to be kept inexpensively and consistently on the road. Theory seems to be working out with our summer daily driver which I now have a mechanic maintain and a little less so with Old Smokey because I've been trying to maintain her myself (she has been inexpensive to maintain, I'm simply inexperienced so she's been off the road more than she should have been).

Questions:

A. What do you think? Does my reasoning seem correct? Would an old Blazer or Jimmy do the job?

B. Are my expectations consistent with your experience owning and driving these old Blazers?

C. Been watching ebay, kijiji, craigslist off and on for a few weeks and the prices for ones that appear largely rust free seem to be from about $6,000 to way too much for the budget. With some rust some seem available for around $4,000. I really don't want any rust. Any chance of finding a dependable one rust free in the $4,000 price range?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Our other winter vehicle will be Old Smokey (described in signature) if I can get the electrical redone so she starts well in the cold. We had a 95 Chevy with a 6.5 diesel and it started fine every time all through the winter, but Smokey doesn't seem to like the cold. Hopefully doing the electrical will let her start through the winter. Old Smokey:

Our summer daily driver is a 1960 Frontenac:

Bought it for the nine maple leafs on the badging and because it doesn't have computers to complicate the maintenance process. Putting it away for the winter.
Old Smokey: 85 GMC 3/4 ton long bed crew cab originally a 5.7 gas engine now with an 84 6.2 with a 92 serpentine belt system, a banks sidewinder, torque converter, and a shift kit. I bought her this way from someone handy - and now am trying to figure out how all this truck works.

The Old Smokey project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=390518
Wincks2 is offline   Reply With Quote