The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
nikwho

Replacing factory cam in 305

Ok, I have decided to hold out on the 350 swap in my '83. I'm going to save up for some more parts and build a 383 stroker with world product heads and some other goodies. Seeing as how I am going to be buying a '64 or '65 Chevelle project next year for my 30th birthday, my 383 may find itself in a chevelle. I just read an interesting article on building a 305. http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ild/index.html
I am looking at playing with my 305 a little bit before I just jump into another 350 for it or using my 383 in this truck. I doubt that I will go spend the money for the 305 specific trick flow heads. However, this past week I bolted up a set of Heddman Headers, MSD cap and rotor for my factory HEI, new plugs and wires, a flex-a-lite fan and a 650 cfm edelbrock carb. It really woke up the old 305! I also have an edelbrock Performer RPM intake that I have not installed as of yet. Here is my question reguarding swapping out the cam, which i'm told is the most restrictive aspect of my engine aside from the heads. Can I use a cam that I bought for a 350 that I have never used? I dont have the specific grind info but its an "RV" cam of sorts. Pretty mild. I also have a second cam kicking around that I believe is 212*/214* @.50" lift. Again, not a radical cam by any means. Can I use one of these cams in my 305 to replace the factory cam? The factory cam is a hydraulic lifter cam. These other two cams that I have are solid flat tappet cams. I just thought that if I could use one of them and see some gains, I could swap the cam out when I install the intake. I'm not wanting to spend much money on this and i'm only using/buying parts that I will be able to swap over to a 350 or possibly my 383 if/when my 305 takes a turn for the worse or I get tired of it. Thanks, Nik

Last edited by nikwho; 10-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote