The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Menekali

First time owner with some questions.

Hello everyone. I just picked up a 74 Shortbed C/20 350/350. The block is brand new essentially from mid line up (the bottom has yet to be rebuilt).

I've got some questions though. This is my first truck. I'm used to working on Z/28s, and other sports cars. I'm not used to some of these things on the truck, and I have yet to get one in this condition. Rust is an issue, especially along the doors, just next to the bench seating on either side. So I've got a list of questions, and if anyone could provide information, links, personal experience anything I'd be greatly appreciative.
  • The interior is shot. Dash pad looks like someone lost their sense, and punched out the dash. Or it was in an accident, who knows. I just got another from a junk yard (local ecology) and was wondering how hard fiber-glassing a new one would be. It seems easy enough, but was wondering if there are any specific tutorials around for this application.
  • My bench seat is pretty shot too. Not only the cover, but the springs. What years, and from what other trucks will bolt right in? Any years that require no modification would be awesome, but if necessary what would I be looking at getting in to? There are a few bench seats on craigslist around here from newer vans and what not, and they're awesome.
  • RUST. UGH. It's a California truck, but there is rust. Under the carpet in the cabin, it's pretty ugly. A long the area between the bench seating and the doors is ugly, and holey as all hell now. I plan on laying down new carpet etc... when I do the seating, but is there any simple solution to fixing the floor rust? Anything I can bolt / weld right down? I'm mostly an engine guy, and self taught at that, I'm afraid of messing around with this. If picture are necessary I'd be more than happy to take some in a bit.
  • The chrome bumpers are also pretty rusty. How can I go about getting the rust off the chrome and cleaning it up a bit? Short of replacing it, if I can't get it off, I'm going to just black it out, I'd prefer to keep it chrome though. Again, not my area, but if there's a way I can rub and buff it out I'd be very happy .
  • The doors. Damnit the doors... The locks do not work. The window cranks are completely off. One of the cranks for the window seems like it's sticking out further than the other. What a hassle. Is there any easy way to replace the guts of the doors? At the junk yard, I just took a gander, and ripped one apart, and ending up feeling like a jack ass because I couldn't get anything useful out of it. Any guides / tutorials on taking everything out of one, and putting it into mine?
  • Exhaust. No cats, no mufflers etc.. But it came with an H pipe, and glasspacks. Guh... Would 3.5" Straight pipes be TOO loud on one of these crate 350s? I'm used to working on my LT1s, where an H pipe with glass packs would be heard for blocks to come. This seems childish in comparison, but I know it's capable of more. So I figured maybe I could just get some pipes bent and throw them on there.
  • I'm looking to put a flat black coat on the truck. Would rattle canning be sufficient? I'm looking for a black primer look, and do have access to a compressor etc... but I'm just experienced in spraying with them. I'm going to bang out some of the dents, and holds, bondo them out, and go from there.
  • My gas tank seems to leak. Not the tank it's self, but gas keeps running up into the over flow. In fact, when filling sometimes it just pours right out of the overflow. I can't figure it out.... It seems there might have been a mild impact at some point, and it's pretty difficult to fill up. Can I just plug the overflow until I straighten the bed back out a bit?

I've got plenty of questions, but I can't bombard everyone at once heh. More information in my signature. I'll get some pics for you guys of some of the troublesome areas.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to working on the truck, and having fun in a new community (big z28.com contributor here). Again, thank sin advance, and I apologize if it's too much for one thread ><

Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by Menekali; 10-08-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Menekali is offline   Reply With Quote