The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Surfdriver

Introduction and Brake Question.

Hello, my name is Tim and I've been lurking on here for awhile. I got a 71 Jimmy a little over a year ago, and I'm getting ready to redo the under carriage to make it ready to move possibly cross country in a year and a half, and become a tow vehicle for my boat. I don't really do any wheel'n, just occasional trips to the dunes, or cruising mountain roads for camping.

I will start a thread when I start tearing it apart and rebuilding. I'm going to rebuild the axles, brakes, and steering. I'm also going to build a new fuel tank, put in a 700R4, install a 4" lift and possibly rebuild the transfer case (leaks). Eveything underneath will get new paint, and new body mounts.

As of right now, I have a couple questions.

The Jimmy is going to be a regular tow vehicle for my boat, and my wife is going to be towing with it when we move, so I want to ensure the Jimmy will stop with a load. It has trouble stopping on its own now. Right now I'm leaning towards a hydroboost and converting the rear to disks. Before I spend the money, I'd like to hear input on if I'm going overkill, or does it sound about right?

I'm looking at the VANCO Hydroboost Kit. I welcome any thoughts on this product or suggestions on other kits?

When I'm done with the undercarriage, my Jimmy's stats will be:
3:73 Gears in the Dana 44 front, and 10 Bolt Rear w/ Eaton Tru Track.
33" BFG's
350 SBC with a Bowtie Overdrive stage III 700R4.
4" lift, springs up front, and a shakle flip in the rear.
30+ Gallon fuel tank.
Attached Images

Last edited by Surfdriver; 10-09-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Surfdriver is offline   Reply With Quote