The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Drug home an old friend this weekend

My dad unexpectedly passed away due to a stroke this past August at the young age of 65. Since his passing I have been dusting off and playing with two old vehicles that I inherited. The first being a 1963 Corvair 95 van and the second being our old tow truck. I actually learned how to drive and basically learned how to twist wrenches on this exact truck as I grew up around the shop.

Dad bought it new back 1978. It ran AAA calls for a few decades before my dad retired in the late 90’s but not before he spun the cam bearings in the 427. It barely ran when he parked it, no oil pressure. It has been sitting for 13 years.

I don’t have any immediate major plans for it just yet, as I have a couple projects to wrap up a head of it but I do plan on installing the 454HO that came out my K10 so it will at least be mobile. It might get an 8.1L later down the road as well. Probably won’t do anything to the body for a few years. None the less, I am so glad to have this truck finally home but sucks I had to loose my dad to get it....He would never let it go as he always said he would fix it up some day.

My buddy's Ram Charger has onboard air and a winch, which came in handy for this retrieval.

30 minute drive later and it is at it's new home at my house.

Around 1978/1979. Yep, that is me and the shop dog.

Around 1980/1981

Around 1989, me being a punk kid playing with wrecked cars.

Me rescuing a Ford Econoline FedEx van in the mountains around 1995.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote