The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
ofnaman

Decided to go somewhat original. Need help!

After having my truck for 3 years now I am FINALLY getting started on it. It's a '54 5 window 1/2 ton shortbed. It came with half of an engine sitting in it (not bolted in as I found out today after towing it around for 3 years), the trans was in the bed and the rear end is half apart (but all there). I am a GM technician, but this truck is otherworldly to me (mostly the way the drivetrain goes together). I used to have a '66 c10 with a 250, but this truck is alot different and I could definately use some input. I decided to try to find an engine that would basically bolt in so I could start driving it. I'll worry about mod's later. Believe it or not I was able to find two engine/trans combo's on my local craigslist. One was a '53 216 with a 4 speed, and the other was a '55 235 with a 3 speed. I decided to go with the 216 because it came complete from the generator to the tailshaft of the trans and this truck had a 4 speed originally. One of my questions is how exactly does the transmission mount up to the torque tube? After eye balling it I think I see how, but I could use some pointers/pictures. I was also told I can modify a 250 hei distributor to work in the 216. Have any of you done that? I could also use some pic's of how the engine mounts up. I can see how the front mount works, but the bellhousing ones are not there and I have no idea what I need for them. I plan on keeping the truck mostly stock right now other than converting it to 12 volt and probably adding a/c.

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 10-14-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: WTB by non-subscribing member
ofnaman is offline   Reply With Quote