The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Need disc brake help

Well I have a 1970 that I converted over to Disc brakes in the front a few years back. My power brake booster and master came out of a 1982ish Chevy truck and I used 1972 parts for the brakes themselves. When I put the disc brakes on I could not remember if when I added power brakes a few years even prior to that time, if I had put the proportioning valve from the newer truck that would be disc/ drum or if it was the old drum/ drum. So I put it all together without knowing and everything worked great and has been for the last few years of daily driving.
I am now up grading to a nicer duel piston aluminum caliper (wilwood D52) on all four corners. I thought the fronts would be an easy switch out of the calipers and done. So I swapped them out last night. Only problem is that when I got them bleeded there is now too much preload on the pads and it is hard to move the rotors even without any pressure on the brake pedal. I thought where everything worked with the GM calipers that it would work just the same with the new Wilwoods. Everything is the same as before the only parts I changed out were the calipers and I switched to stainless steel brake hoses. The rotors and pads are the same ones I was running with my GM calipers.
Any advice would be appreciated as this is my daily driver. I had to borrow a friend’s car to go to work today and hope to get my truck fixed tonight.

Last edited by lts70; 10-14-2010 at 11:10 AM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote