The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: 1960 Cadillac, Series 62, 2 Door Hardtop

well gang, it's been kind of slow around the caddy since the the birth of my second son, but I gotten a few things accomplished despite no sleep and fast food

well I pulled the entire trunk covering panels out to inspect the floor. the only rust back there was a spot the size of an apple in the rear most floor. apparently, caddys of this era ALL leaked there. I plan on POR15ing the entire trunk pan this winter just to be on the safe side that the rust that's there, will no spread anytime soon. on a side note, it really is amazing the time and effort GM went to just to line the trunk with houndstooth cover panels for the trunk. I mean you cannot see one steel body panel back there, and mine is still all there and intact. that was a lot of effort just to make a trunk "clean"!

I then moved onto the passenger door where the vent window did not work. this caddy's vent windows pivot out with the use of a crank. well the passenger side vent window gear had frozen up years ago (I'm assuming) and I wanted to investigate. after nearly 4 hours of trying to figure out how to pull the door panel off without breaking something, I had it off. the chipmunks must have decided that the passenger door was a nice place to live, so the entire bottom of the door was full of nuts and insulation. after that was completely cleaned out, a good coat of POR15 was brushed onto the inside surface of the lower door well, and the exterior door well. it was amazingly intact for being a 50 year old car. this is another problem spot for these caddys.... the door well is usually toast. back to the vent window gear. so after I figured out how to dismantle the entire interior door structure, I was able to pull the gear out. looks like water wasn't good to it, because it was frozen from rust corroding the gears. great, another expensive "do-dad" that's going to cost wayyyy too much 'cause it says Cadillac on it. amazingly enough, after a good soaking of PB Blaster, and it worked like new. I packed the gears with marine grease and put everything back together. one gripe with GM though. the door panels are installed with the worst "system" I have ever seen. the back of the panel's outer seams had what appears to be 1" nails sticking out of them. those nails in turn are tapped into a one way slit on the door. talk about a byotch to remove and install without screwing something up!!!! I will have to be real careful when I pull the driver's door apart next week!

had to pick up a new ignition switch today since mine was not engaging the starter solenoid........ this was after my locksmith put about 4 hours in it's rebuild. oh well, you win some.....

at this moment I have completely disassembled the front grill and headlight assembly. I thought the grill deserved a good polishing after 50 years. bad. there's damn near 200 crevices in that grill to polish. I have no more meat left on my hands....... but the grill sure looks good!

no new pics except for when I took it around the block with my 3.5 year old. more updates soon! note the no grill look, yuck!

and back home.... the lower trunk valance is off in this pic.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 10-22-2010 at 08:57 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote