The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
TheSeeker

Question Frustrated and need HELP

Hey everyone, I am at my wits end here hoping one of you can help me out. I am having trouble with my truck starting, and staying running. Here is what it does. When I go out to start the truck I pump the gas pedal one to two times, then turn the key, no start. So I wait, pump, turn key. Usually fires up then chokes out. 3rd time, starts but runs rough unless i hit the accelerator to even it out. To me, this sounded like a fuel problem. So I popped the hood, and see gas leaking from the carb. Went to Napa and bought a gasket kit, and a new accelerator pump and installed. No more gas leak and the old pump was trash. Anyway. It fired up after a few tries and idled rough so me, with the help of my wife inside the cab, and buddy tuned the carb for a while. Seemed to run OK now and drove like this for 3 days. on the 4th day, it did not want to start again, so I inspected and replaced my plug wires, which were burnt through from touching the manifold. Now it started and ran for awhile, then choked at a stop light. Which brings me to today. I have had it with this now, because I cant go more than 5 miles without dying at a stoplight. My question for you all is if you think it maybe is fuel pump related? The see through filter is ALWAYS empty when I go to start it, and I'm thinking either that or maybe the carb is not holding enough fuel to keep it running. The carburetor is stock qjet and doesn't leak anymore. The fuel pressure is also kind of low on the stock gauge but I don't know if that is the old gauge or just a worn out original engine problem. Thanks for any insight one the problems.

FYI. I still have everything from the rebuild kit from napa and a new float I just didn't have time to pull the carb off and rebuild that day. I want to get the truck running well enough to get to my garage first.
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote