The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Ms Bright

Talking My First: 68 Frame-off rebuild

I have a 68 Chevy short bed that WAS my daily driver. I knew eventually I would restore her; I love this truck so much I had her tatooed on my arm! After blowing a freeze plug and locking up the motor, I decided to do a full frame-off restoration.

I have two BIG dogs that love to ride around in the back of my truck but, one's getting too old to jump. So, I decided to step notch the frame and bag it so my truck will drop to the ground. Then the dogs can load up without backing down the ditch. Plus, it'll look WAY cool...

I purchased the front dropped crossmember assembly, sway bar and rear 4link cantilever with step notch and watts link from Chris Alston's Chassisworks. The instructions are so easy even a chick can do it herself! (I know this for a fact... )

So far, I've had the frame sand blasted, cut the frame out for and installed the notches and all bolt and weld-in components. (I'm having the welding done by a pro but doing everything else myself). I've painted the frame, and had my rear end rebuilt with positraction. I painted the rear end and axle last night gloss black and it looks good, if I do say so myself! I have purchased the brake kit to swap drum brakes for disk all around and switched to a 5-5 wheel bolt pattern in the process. My spindles get here the 9th so I'm on my way!

One question... where do you put the spare?!?
Attached Images

Ms Bright is offline   Reply With Quote